Creamy Clam Chowder with potatoes and vegetables is one of my favorite easy soup recipes that tastes like it came from a restaurant! This recipe has the thick, creamy broth of a Boston or New England clam chowder.
Hey guys, it’s Lauren visiting again from Tastes Better from Scratch to share one of my all-time-favorite soup recipe with you all; Clam Chowder!
My love for clam chowder started young. I always used to order it at our favorite restaurant in Utah, called Market Street Grill. I also love the clam chowder from the Blue Bayou at Disneyland and several years ago our waiter there gave my mom the recipe. The one ingredient we love that we had never added before was red wine vinegar.
This is such a simple soup but the flavors together are delicious. We love to add extra veggies too, like bell peppers, to give it flavor, color and crunch.
How to make creamy clam chowder:
The basic ingredients in this Clam chowder include canned clams, chicken broth, potatoes, butter, onions, celery, bell peppers, garlic, flour, milk, red wine vinegar, salt, and pepper.
Start by draining the clams and adding the juice from the clams to a large stock pot.
Next, add chicken broth and diced potatoes to the pot, simmer, and add the bay leaf. While the potatoes cook, melt butter and olive oil in a second pot. Add the onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic and cook until tender. Stir in the flour, cook for 30 seconds and gradually stir in the milk and half and half.
Simmer the mixture and cook until it has thickened. Stir the creamy mixture into the cooked potatoes. Add salt, pepper, vinegar, and reserved clams. Cook for 5 more minutes.
What are the different types of clam chowder?
You may hear clam chowder called Boston clam chowder, New England clam chowder, or Manhattan clam chowder. So what’s the difference? Boston and New England clam chowder are two names that describe the same type of clam chowder! New England (or Boston) clam chowder is a creamy or broth based chowder made with potatoes, vegetables and clams. This recipe fits that description. Manhattan chowder is a red, tomato based chowder with clams, and vegetables.
More popular soup recipes from Tastes Better from Scratch:
Best Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
Chicken Enchilada Soup
- 4 (6.5 oz) cans chopped clams
- 1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 medium russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 3 stalks celery (about 1 cup, diced)
- ½ of a red bell pepper, diced
- ½ of a green bell pepper, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half and half
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Drain the clams, adding the juice from the cans to a large stock pot. Set the clams aside.
- Add chicken broth, diced potatoes and bay leaves to the pot with the clam juice; the liquid should just barely cover the potatoes. Add Bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are barely fork tender, about 5-6 minutes.
- While the potatoes cook, in a second pot, heat the butter and olive oil over medium heat until the butter has melted. Add the onions, celery, bell peppers and garlic and cook until tender, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 30 seconds. Gradually stir in the milk and half and half, whisking as you pour. Bring mixture to a simmer and cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir the creamy mixture into the potatoes. Add salt, pepper, vinegar, and reserved clams. Cook for 5 more minutes.
Original source: https://therecipecritic.com/clam-chowder/