This Corn Chowder recipe is thick, hearty and perfect for a chilly fall day! It’s so easy to make and perfect for your weekend meal prep!
Hey friends! It’s Ashley here from The Recipe Rebel and I, for one, am so happy it’s soup season!
I am a big time soup lover and I kind of feel like it’s the only thing I’m cooking these days. We had one terribly cold September and October isn’t looking much better. I’ve been craving all kinds of thick, hearty soups and stews to keep us going through this chilly fall weather.
Although I love soup of any kind (this Instant Pot Potato Soup and this Italian Chicken Noodle Soup are right up there!), give me something thick and creamy and chunky and I’m one happy woman.
I love the combination of smoky bacon, onions, and garlic with the creamy potatoes and sweet corn — it is a match made in heaven and there’s no wonder this Corn Chowder recipe has been a favorite here for so long!
With other kinds of soups, particular with rice or pasta, you have to be careful about how you store them (or be okay with the change in texture!) as rice and pasta can soak up all the excess liquid and become overly soft in the fridge.
But one of the great things about this corn chowder is that the vegetables don’t really change texture if it’s made ahead of time, which makes it perfect for your weekend meal prep! Simply whip up an extra large batch on Sunday and enjoy it for another meal or two throughout the week without doing any of the word.
Tips and Tricks for changing up this Corn Chowder:
- You can easily add in extra veggies if that’s your style — just make sure they will cook in roughly the same amount of time as you don’t want mushy vegetables.
- You can make this soup vegetarian by skipping the bacon.
- If you want to make this a heartier meal, feel free to add in a chicken breast or two with the potatoes. The chicken will cook perfectly as the soup simmers and you can remove and chop easily before serving.
- 2 slices thick cut bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 4 medium potatoes, diced
- 3 cups fresh or frozen corn
- ¾ cup whole milk or cream
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- Cheese, extra bacon, and green onions for serving as desired
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, cook bacon until browned.
- Add onion and celery, cooking and stirring until the onion starts to brown. Add garlic, salt, thyme and pepper and cook 1 minute.
- Stir in broth, scraping the bottom of the pot to remove any browned bits.
- Add potatoes and corn. Stir, bring to a simmer, and reduce heat to medium.
- Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender. Reduce heat to low.
- Combine milk and corn starch and gradually whisk into soup mixture, a little at a time, until thickened slightly.
- Serve as desired.
Original source: https://therecipecritic.com/corn-chowder-recipe/