Crispy, cheesy, and delicious, these easy air fryer mozzarella sticks are going to be your new favorite snack! They’re super simple to prepare and cook up in less than 10 minutes!
Using an air fryer is the best way to whip up crave-worthy appetizers. You’ll have to try my air fryer onion rings, fried pickles, and egg rolls next! They turn out so crispy and amazing every time.
The Absolute Best Air Fryer Mozzarella Stick Recipe
With a perfect crispy shell and melty inside, you can’t go wrong with serving mozzarella sticks as an appetizer. For your next party, ditch the store-bought mozzarella sticks and make them from scratch instead! They’re super easy to prepare and honestly, take about as much effort as pulling frozen mozzarella sticks out of the bag. The only difference is they taste a million times better! These get devoured in seconds at my house.
Using an air fryer makes this recipe a cinch. No more dealing with the mess of frying in oil! The best part is that the air fryer makes the mozzarella sticks just as crispy. If you haven’t already, you’ve got to try my air fryer french fries and tater tots, too! I know you’ve probably heard it a million times, but air fryers are a game-changer. You get crispy, delicious treats in half the time with no hassle. Once you try these ooey-gooey air fryer mozzarella sticks, I know you’ll be a believer, too!
Mozzarella Stick Ingredients
It only takes 5 inexpensive ingredients to put these yummy mozzarella sticks together. My kids are always hounding me to make them, which works out perfectly because we always have the ingredients on hand. I’m sure they’ll be just as popular with your family!
- Mozzarella Cheese Sticks: I love using mozzarella because it’s so stretchy and melty. You can substitute this with your favorite kind of cheese stick. Cheddar and pepper jack are great alternatives!
- Eggs: Used to coat your cheese sticks so they’re ready for frying.
- Milk: Mixed into your whisked egg. The proteins in milk help the yummy breading to stick better.
- Bread Crumbs: I use seasoned bread crumbs, but you can easily make your own with a pinch of Italian seasoning.
- Parmesan Cheese: I add parmesan to my bread crumbs for some sharp cheesy flavor. It tastes amazing melted down and adds an extra crispiness.
- (Optional) Marinara Sauce: Marinara and mozzarella sticks are a classic pairing. You can buy your favorite from the store or make it at home! It’s easy and delicious!
Making Mozzarella Sticks in an Air Fryer
The ease of making mozzarella sticks in an air fryer is going to blow your mind. They turn out SOOO good with just the push of a button! The other great thing about this recipe is that since we’re not frying our sticks in oil, they’re a more health-conscious choice. Tasty cheesy goodness with half the calories? Yes, please!
- Prep Cheese Sticks, Egg Batter, and Bread Crumbs: Let’s start! First, cut the mozzarella cheese sticks in half. In a small bowl, add the eggs and milk and whisk. Then, in another small bowl, add the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
- Dip and Coat: Next, dip the cheese stick first in the egg, and then coat in the bread crumbs. Lay flat on a parchment lined sheet pan. Freeze for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
- Air Fry: Line in a single layer without touching in the basket of your air fryer. Cook at 390 degrees Fahrenheit for 6-8 minutes
Tips and Yummy Variations
The great thing about making mozzarella sticks at home is that you can customize them however you’d like! I’ve listed a few of my favorite seasonings and dips here for you to try. I hope you love them as much as I do!
- Seasonings: I love the simple flavor of bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. It makes your mozzarella sticks perfect for just about any sauce! If you’re looking for a little extra flavor, though, feel free to add Italian seasoning, Cajun seasoning, or lemon pepper to your bread crumb mixture! It makes each bite flavorful and divine. No dip needed!
- Sauces and Dips: These air fryer mozzarella sticks are perfect for dipping! Aside from marinara, my family always loves having them with buffalo, bbq, and honey mustard sauces.
- Crispier Texture: For a more crispy texture, dredge and coat the cheese sticks once. After freezing, coat them again and freeze for another 30 minutes, then cook and enjoy!
- Don’t Overcook: If you overcook your mozzarella sticks, you run the risk of them bursting open and getting too melty. Keep an eye on them at the 6 minute mark to ensure you pull them out right when they’re golden and crispy.
Storing Leftovers and Making Ahead
My favorite part about this recipe is the fact that you can store your mozzarella sticks in the freezer for 6 months! I always make a bunch of these to have on hand, then throw them in the air fryer for when my hungry kids call! It’s such a quick and easy snack.
- In the Refrigerator: Cooked mozzarella sticks can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days in an airtight container.
- In the Freezer: Uncooked but breaded mozzarella sticks can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months. No need to thaw before cooking! Simply pop them in the air fryer and go!
- Reheating: I like to reheat my mozzarella sticks in the air fryer for a minute or two at 400 degrees Fahrenheit. You can also pop them in the microwave for 15-second intervals, then turning the mozzarella sticks and repeating as needed.
Air Fryer Mozzarella Cheese Sticks
- 10 mozzarella cheese sticks
- 3 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- marinara sauce for dipping
Cut the mozzarella cheese sticks in half. In a small bowl add the eggs and milk and whisk. In another small bowl add the bread crumbs and parmesan cheese.
Dip the cheese stick first in the egg, and then coat in the bread crumbs. Lay flat on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Freeze for at least 30 minutes to an hour.
Line in a single layer without touching in the basket of your air fryer. Cook at 390 degrees for 6-8 minutes
– Mine took 6 minutes. I would check at 6 and then if they need more time, check every minute after that to avoid them getting gooey and losing their shape.
Original source: https://therecipecritic.com/air-fryer-mozzarella-sticks/