Cinnamon bread with warm spices and a sweet topping makes for a tasty breakfast or snack. Using a quick bread base, each loaf yields tender slices of cinnamon swirl bites.
Looking for more baked breakfast recipes? Then try this Blueberry Breakfast Cake, Banana Bread Crumb Cake, or Apple Crumble Muffins.
Baking up a batch of homemade cinnamon bread fills your home with the scent of warm spices and brown sugar. It’s an easy bread to make using leavening agents like baking powder and eggs to give a beautiful domed top. It’s layered with vanilla cake, then cinnamon and sugar topping, finally swirled together to infuse the sweet spice throughout each slice. Perfect with a cup of coffee or tea at any time of the day!
How do you make cinnamon bread?
- Set rack to center position and preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with spray or oil.
- Combine cinnamon and brown sugar to make the topping.
- In a large bowl whisk flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium bowl whisk sugars, eggs, melted butter, vegetable oil, milk, sour cream, and vanilla.
- Fold egg mixture into the flour mixture. Then transfer half to the pan.
- Sprinkle with half of the cinnamon and sugar mixture.
- Add the rest of the batter on top, then sprinkle the remainder of the cinnamon sugar topping.
- Use a knife to swirl the batter to make cinnamon swirls.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. About 45 to 55 minutes.
- Cool for 10 minutes, then slice when easy to handle.
How to make the cinnamon bread moist and tender
The base of the bread is a vanilla quick bread that has a very similar texture to muffins because of the tenderizing agents. Eggs, oil, and sour cream add just the right ratio of fat to keep each slice super tender.
The brown sugar not only adds some molasses-like flavor but is also a humectant that attracts moisture, keeping the bread moist over time. I often use a combination of these ingredients for other quick bread like my favorite banana bread recipe to ensure that each slice is delicious from start to finish.
Adding in bold cinnamon flavor
What’s makes this bread irresistible is the beautiful cinnamon swirls that run through the center, plus the light crunch on the surface from the brown sugar sprinkled on top. Simply use a knife to gently lift and swirl the batter to create the pattern. Do not over mix the bread otherwise, the pattern will be hard to see once sliced.
Storing and Reheating
The cinnamon bread can be stored in an airtight container or resealable plastic bag at room temperature for up to 3 days. The bread can also be individually sliced and coated with plastic wrap, placed in a bag and frozen for up to 1 month. To reheat, microwave on high power in 30-second intervals until the bread is warmed through, about 60 to 90 seconds.
Looking for some tasty baked treats? Try these!
- Cream Cheese Brownies
- Monkey Bread
- Neiman Marcus Bars
- Chewy Brown Butter Blondies
- Strawberry Cheesecake Brownies
Cinnamon bread with warm spices and a sweet topping makes for a tasty breakfast. Using a quick bread base, each loaf yields tender slices.
Cinnamon Swirl Topping
- ⅓ cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ cup whole milk
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Set the oven rack to the center position and preheat to 350°F.
- Lightly grease a 9-inch by 5-inch loaf pan with cooking spray or vegetable oil.
- In a small bowl combine ⅓ cup dark brown sugar and 1 tablespoon cinnamon, set aside.
- Melt the butter in a pan or microwave, and then cool to room temperature.
- In a large bowl whisk together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
- In a medium bowl whisk together granulated sugar, brown sugar, and eggs until smooth and pale yellow in color, 1 minute.
- Slowly whisk in melted butter and vegetable oil into the egg mixture until incorporated.
- Whisk the milk, sour cream, and vanilla into the egg mixture.
- Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture. Gently fold the flour mixture until just moistened, with some lumps and flour spots remaining. Do not over mix the batter.
- Add half of the batter to the pan.
- Sprinkle half of the cinnamon and brown sugar mixture over batter.
- Top with the rest of the batter, then sprinkle the rest of the cinnamon mixture on top.
- Use a knife to swirl the cinnamon mixture with the batter, up and down into the batter, and around the pan in swirls, but do not completely mix.
- Bake the cinnamon bread until a toothpick inserted comes out clean and the bread is set, or internal temperature reaches 205 to 210°F with a thermometer, about 45 to 55 minutes. Cover the bread loosely with foil about 30 minutes into cooking to prevent the top from getting too brown.
- Cool cinnamon bread in the pan for 10 minutes. Carefully remove and transfer to a cooling rack.
- Slice when it’s cool enough to handle.
Original source: https://therecipecritic.com/cinnamon-bread/