Tomato Basil Soup is a healthy classic soup that’s simple to make from scratch and full of flavor! It only takes just over half an hour. The whole family will enjoy it as the temperatures drop and the evenings become crisper.
It’s soup season! You may also like these yummy soups: Creamy Pumpkin Soup, Classic Italian Wedding Soup, Vegetable Detox Soup, or this Easy Cauliflower Soup.
Tomato Basil Soup Recipe
Hi all! It’s Natasha here from Salt & Lavender. I hope you’re all enjoying the fall weather. Even though I’m a warm weather girl at heart, I can’t resist soup season. Soups are some of my favorite things to make, and I hope you’ll love this easy tomato soup recipe. Tomato soup has always been one of my favorites. Basil and a splash of cream take it to the next level of yumminess!
We are well into fall now, but I can eat tomato soup all year. I always keep some fresh basil plants during the warmer months, and this soup is perfect for using it up if you have some.
This soup is sure to be a crowd-pleaser. If you’re feeding vegetarians, simply replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth. Hope you love this easy tomato and basil soup recipe!
How to make tomato basil soup
- Sauté the onion in a soup pot until it’s lightly browned;
- Stir in the garlic, seasoning, tomatoes, and broth;
- Simmer the soup for 8 minutes;
- Blend the soup until smooth;
- Stir in the cream & basil, adjust the salt & pepper to taste, and serve!
What are San Marzano tomatoes?
San Marzano tomatoes are known as some of the best quality/tasting canned tomatoes available. They’re a variety of plum tomatoes that are grown in the San Marzano region of Italy, and various brands sell them (you should be able to find them fairly easily in most grocery stores).
Can I use dried basil?
I recommend fresh for this soup, but the rule is that 2 teaspoons of fresh basil = about 1 teaspoon of dried basil. I’d start with 1 teaspoon, taste the soup, and then add more if necessary.
What to serve with tomato basil soup
You can’t go wrong with some crusty bread (sourdough or French bread are my favorites), or try these Grilled Cheese Pull Aparts (or just a normal grilled cheese sandwich). I topped the soup in the photos with these yummy cheddar flavor mini baguette crisps that I found at my local supermarket. Some fresh Parmesan cheese grated over top would also taste heavenly.
Love tomatoes? Try these recipes:
- Creamy Tomato Basil Chicken
- Sun-Dried Tomato and Basil Gnocchi
- Creamy Tomato Italian Parmesan Chicken
- Crockpot Tomato Tortellini and Sausage Soup
- Fire Roasted Tomato Soup
Tomato Basil Soup
Tomato Basil Soup is a healthy classic soup that's simple to make from scratch and full of flavor! It only takes just over half an hour.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion ((chopped))
- 1 clove garlic ((minced))
- 1 dash Italian seasoning
- 2 (28 fluid ounce) cans whole San Marzano tomatoes ((with juices))
- 1.5 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream ((or to taste))
- 12 leaves fresh basil ((torn))
- Salt & pepper ((to taste))
Add the oil, butter, and onion to a soup pot over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for 5-7 minutes or until it's lightly browned.
Stir in the garlic and Italian seasoning, followed by the tomatoes and chicken broth.
Increase the heat to high and bring the soup to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 8 minutes, covered, with the lid slightly ajar.
Blend the soup (I like to use an immersion blender) until it's smooth (you may want to let it cool a little bit first). Stir in the cream and basil and season with salt & pepper as needed.
- I recommend using the canned whole San Marzano tomatoes (it’s a variety of tomatoes available from different brands). They’re great for cooking with and have wonderful flavor.
- If you find the soup is a little too tart for your liking, add a little bit of sugar (it’s an old trick). Start with 1/2 teaspoon.
Original source: https://therecipecritic.com/tomato-basil-soup/